If you were hurt in an accident that resulted from someone’s negligence, you may want to talk to a personal injury lawyer, like one from Hall-Justice Law Firm. You likely have high medical bills and you deserve to be properly compensated. A lawyer can help you pursue a timely claim against the negligent party.
What Are Pain and Suffering Damages?
Certain damages, like medical bills and lost wages, can easily be calculated to an exact dollar amount. Personal and suffering damages, on the other hand, can’t. These damages refer to the physical and emotional stress that results from getting injured. Here are the most common types of pain and suffering that can result after an accident.
- Physical pain. It’s certainly not uncommon to experience pain after suffering an injury. However, the pain should get better over time. If it doesn’t, however, you may be able to claim pain and suffering damages. For example, a car accident may have resulted in chronic back pain that makes it difficult for you to fall asleep at night.
- Disfigurement. Sometimes accidents can cause permanent damage to a person’s body. For example, you may have suffered third-degree burns in an accident. In this situation, pain and suffering damages would apply.
- Emotional suffering. Many people focus on the physical effects of an accident. However, it’s also possible to endure emotional effects, like anxiety, fear and depression.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. Just like the name suggests, loss of enjoyment of life prevents a person from engaging and enjoying the activities they once loved. If you can no longer participate in your favorite activities, your personal injury lawyer may be able to help you recover compensation for that.
- Loss of quality of life. Loss of quality of life can prevent a person from living the same lifestyle he or she lived before an accident. For instance, if you lost a limb in an accident, you may be able to claim loss of quality of life.
Your First Consultation with a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’re an accident victim, a skilled personal injury lawyer is someone you want on your side. During your initial consultation with a lawyer, expect to answer several questions about your case, such as how the accident occurred and what injuries you suffered. If you have any documents pertaining to your accident, like a police report and medical records, bring them with you.
Schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer today.