At K&W Legal our team of experienced attorneys in Atlanta will meet with you to discuss your potential case and let you know what you need to do next.
Before discussing your possible medical malpractice case let’s first tell you what you need to know about medical malpractice —
Medical malpractice is professional negligence by act or omission by a healthcare provider in which the treatment provided falls below the accepted standard of practice in the medical community and causes injury or death to the patient, with most cases involving medical error.
Standards and regulations for medical malpractice vary by country and jurisdiction within countries.
Medical professionals may obtain professional liability insurances to offset the risk and costs of lawsuits based on medical malpractice.
Noteworthy Medical Malpractice Facts:
– Approximately 195,000 people are killed every year by medical errors in the U.S.
– About 1.14 million patient-safety incidents occurred among the 37 million hospitalizations in the Medicare population over the years 2000-2002.
– Hospital costs associated with such medical errors were estimated at $324 million in October 2008 alone.
– Between 15,000 and 19,000 malpractice suits are brought against doctors each year.
How Do I know if I Have a Medical Malpractice Claim ?
– If a duty was owed: a legal duty exists whenever a hospital or health care provider undertakes care or treatment of a patient.
– If a duty was breached: the provider failed to conform to the relevant standard care.
– If the breach caused an injury: The breach of duty was a proximate cause of the injury.
– If damage (injury/injuries) occured: Without damage (losses which may be pecuniary or emotional), there is no basis for a claim, regardless of whether the medical provider was negligent. Likewise, damage can occur without negligence, for example, when someone dies from a fatal disease.
What Should I Do First?
If you believe medical malpractice occurred during your last procedure or treatment , you owe it to yourself to explore the issues with our
K& W legal team of attorneys skilled in medical malpractice actions.
As experienced attorneys in Atlanta we are proficient in identifying, addressing, and overcoming difficult issues.
For medical malpractice cases , addressing your claim is extremely time-sensitive because of the statute of limitations surrounding this type of legal matter.
Contact K & W Legal TODAY for a FREE consultation.
We provide big firm results with small firm attention to make sure your case is settled in your favor.
–The K & W Legal Team